Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2012

What's a butler?

Martha and her staff this month recount the "short list" of hotels around the country they found memorable in categories of design, food, gardening, and craftsmanship.  Craftsmanship?  I'm not even sure what that means for a hotel choice.  Of the 30 hotels featured, I have stayed in a grand total of zero!  How depressing.  All of this wonderful design, food, and "craftsmanship" out there and I am missing out on it all.  Granted, most of my travel nowadays is with kids to Florida or for work overseas, so none of the hotels I've stayed in would have made this cut.  I was happy to see that the "best kitchen" went to the Park Hyatt in D.C., whose Blue Duck Tavern I have been to and found to be delicious.  I recommend it for locals and visitors, but can't comment on the hotel.  

Martha chose the Fountainbleau in Miami as one of her "picks" describing the spa as the most beautiful in America and pointed out that if you go to the spa you get to use the amenities like mineral pools, massage jet showers and eucalyptus steam baths after your treatment.  Hmmm, sounds like Ali and I need a trip to Miami! 

Photo credit: Fountainbleu Hotel
Yup, I could get used to that!
 The best hotel I've ever staying in was the St. Regis in Singapore.  The hotel itself was wonderful, but it was the service that was truly phenomenal.  I went on a work trip with several colleagues and when we arrived at the St. Regis after a long flight and got off the elevator at our floor, we each had a personal butler waiting for us.  Yes, a butler.  Everyone needs a butler once in their lives.  When I returned from this trip and told my husband (at the time a stay-at-home Dad) about the butler, my then 5-year old asked what a butler was.  We explained that it was someone who does things for you around the house.  My son then said, "oh, like you Dad."  Nice.  

- Jacqui


1 comment:

  1. Cute story! What's a butler indeed.

    But it makes me realize why I'm tired. I'm my own wife, butler, concierge service (now I have to think of a way to try the Blue Duck Tavern, but I'd really like someone to hit the grocery for those 3 or 4 items on the way home), yard service, cook ... all other jobs as assigned ... and expect myself to be creative and organized and never drop a ball. And then there is ... THE JOB. Guess it's too late for a nap.

    ReplyDelete