Pages

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Hazelnut-Raspberry Jelly Roll

Martha had a yummy looking recipe last month for a jelly roll http://www.marthastewart.com/910479/hazelnut-raspberry-jelly-roll, which I have always wanted to make, but never had because, well, it looked hard.  But, I decided to give it a go.
 
First, I had to grind the hazelnuts (which I had previously toasted in the food processor) with the flour and salt.  I ground this mixture for a while, then sifted, and even after a second grining, a lot of nuts remained behind in the sifter.  I was worried that leaving out that much of the nut flour would affect the recipe, but it was fine. 


Leftover nut pieces - maybe a good ice cream topping?
The batter required whisking eggs, egg yolks, and sugar over a pan of simmering water.  This was almost a fiasco when the bowl I used was two small and nearly fell into the pot of water, but I managed a rescue. 
 
 
This conconction is then whisked in a mixer, then the flour nut mixture is folded in.  My resulting batter looked delicious.

  
My daughter agreed.

Think she liked it?
The batter is baked on a parchment-lined jelly roll pan for a mere eight minutes.  Martha has a good trick to get the cake to stay in a rolled form.  After baking, the parchment is peeled off and the cake is rolled up in a clean kitchen towel to cool. 

 
 
After the cake is completely cooled, I unrolled it, spead it with jam and a layer of whipped cream and rolled back up to chill for a few hours.

 

 

Looks delicious, right.  It was and it was easy too.  I'm already thinking of other things I can put in a jelly roll.  Nutella sounds good.  Or maybe bananas or peaches and whipped cream.  The possibilities are endless.

-Jacqui

No comments:

Post a Comment