Pages

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Antiquing

Brimfield Antique Show is on Martha's radar this month.  Jacqui and I used to love antiquing together and I would say our mutual interest actually solidified our friendship.  Not surprisingly, we collected the same things - including turn of the century yellowware bowls, floraline pottery from the 1960s, Victorian tiles, and brown transferware with aesthetic patterns from the 1880s.  We especially loved a show at Round Lake in Upstate NY, it was small and yet we never left empty handed.  We also went to Brimfield, it was overwhelming and we left with our car jammed with treasures.

About ten years ago, we even to traveled to England together specifically to attend an antique show - I went on a buying trip as I had aspirations of becoming a part-time dealer.  The dealer endeavor was short-lived, but we had an awesome trip.

Here are a couple of photos from my first (and only) booth:




Our priorities have changed over the years, as have some of our tastes.  But they were some good times.

Ali

********

Those were good times and I still love that little yellowware bowl.  Face it, our houses would not be what they are today without many of those purchases.  And, I think we probably would still love to go antiquing together, if there were time for those pursuits, or if we could interest our children in the outings without worrying about spending more money on paying for the items they damaged than on the items we purchased.  Maybe one of these days we'll leave the kids with our husbands and head off to the Roundtop show in Texas (I've always wanted to do that) or back to Round Lake (still my favorite) topped off with several days at a spa!


Jacqui

********

Jacq - That's not the infamous yellowware bowl from the estate sale.  I'm game for going back to Round Lake or trying Roundtop - I guess the bigger question is whether the boys would be agree.

Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment