Pages

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Nut-job eh?

So, one of Martha's "good things" I wrote about in March was accent paintingpainting the back of a medicine cabinet, inside of a desk drawer, or edge of shelves a different color.  I wrote about how I had already done this in our Master bedroom, but wanted to try Martha's suggestion of a medicine cabinet, thinking it would make me happy in the morning to open up the cabinet and find a cheery color inside.  Ali commented that I was, uh, what was the word she used again ... oh, yeah, a "nut-job."  

Well, now it's May and with Martha's current issue a little light on interesting projects (that's putting it mildly) I thought this would be the perfect month to attack the medicine cabinet. 
Is this thing in need of a makeover or what?
I decided to one-up Martha though and do wall-paper instead of paint.  I started my hunt for cool wallpaper on the Internet where I did find nice papers, but also ridiculous prices.  I needed a piece less than 2x3 feet and all I could find were massive rolls at $30-40 a pop and a minimum purchase of two!  Not ready to give up on the paper idea yet, I found an article on-line about using mod podge to line the inside of drawers with regular decorative paper and viola, one trip to my local Paper Source later and I was ready to go!  I struggled at first with so many options in Paper Source, but then I spotted it, an Orla Kiely stem print gift wrap.  Perfect. (I knew then Ali would regret her words.) 

At home with my supplies, I first tackled another medicine cabinet project that's been on the back burner for a while.  Months ago I bought new hinges but never got around to putting them on.  I tackled that first and after some trial and error because our medicine cabinet is not plumb, I got the new hinges on and the door swinging better than before—so what if I had to shave some wood of the bottom.
before ...

and after.  Looks better already.
Then, I emptied the cabinet and got to work installing the paper.  I cut the paper to size first by putting the paper in place and trimming the edges with a razor.  Worked perfectly.  I have never used mod podge before but followed what I remembered of the instructions I saw on-line.  I coated the interior of the cabinet and then smoothed the paper into place.  It looked perfect at first, but then a huge bubble appeared in the middle and a few others elsewhere.  I wasn't able to lift the paper up again because it was too stuck in some areas and the bubble wouldn't smooth out either.  I decided to spread the mod podge over the top of the paper and see if once it was all wet I could smooth it out.  Nope.  I just ended up getting it wrinkled.  So, I left it and came back later.  Well,  apparently the secret to mod podge is leaving it alone because when I came back the bubbles were gone.  Unfortunately, I was left with a big wrinkle, which I am sure would not have been there if I had just not attempted to smooth it.  It didn't end up really mattering because when the shelves in place you can't see the wrinkle at all.  I think it came out awesome and it does make me happy every time I open it. 
Without all our junk.
Still looks great even with our stuff - yes, I pared it down!

I loved it so much I decided to do my kids medicine cabinet.  It was much easier this time around in part because I already knew what I was doing from the first go round, but also because the kids medicine cabinet is wider and the paper fit exactly without cutting the width.  I only had to trim the bottom which is much easier because the shelf supports don't get in the way and one cut in much easier to do neatly than two. 

How cute is that?
So, what's the verdict Ali, nut-job or creative genius?

- Jacqui

________________

Ok Jacq - what chance did  I have?  You combine Orla Kiely design and paper?  You knew I'd love it.  Maybe in our next home. ;)

Ali

2 comments:

  1. Totally creative genius!!! When something can make you smile first thing in your day, it makes a huge difference and sets tone for what you are capable of. I once drapped lace panels off linen closet shelves that hung about 4 inches down. It was a small closet within the bathroom and was pretty (ok Ali, but you already know I am nuts) and made me smile.

    I know I'm behind, but I finally did the leek-pasta dish. Think I skimped on the lemon, but even so it was YUM. And pretty. I must try the rhubarb recipe next. Might even make another batch of the clam sauce, as it was good as lunch leftovers.

    I loved the salmon vs ms. salman piece you all did. I need to re-read the mailable baby gift entry...I wasn't sure. Walking the dogs the other night I complimented a lady getting into her car on her fabulous looking cake (I was across the street). She smiled and said it was a diaper cake. No wonder the grooves were perfectly symmetrical.

    Keep up the good work, even though I've nodded off when I check your blog late and night and say, 'I'll comment tomorrow' and tomorrow turns into a week or more, I totally enjoy your journey.

    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the paper in the kids' cabinet. That would totally make my day too. First I need to get my medicine cabinet so that a handful of headbands, tube of neosporin and toothbrushes don't fall out every time I open the door. But I will keep this in mind for the day that happens.

    ReplyDelete