Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Rhubarb Who?

To me, ripe rhubarb is a sure sign summer has arrived.   We've always grown rhubarb and I've loved it for as long as I can remember.  Stewed rhubarb over ice cream..  rhubarb crumble.. rhubarb pie... all so good.  I'm always surprised when someone hasn't ever tried it - no matter how I try to prepare them for what's in store, I always love their puckered face at its unexpected tartness.

A new recipe for rhubarb?  Martha, I heart you.  BUT, what on earth is a buckle??

It's very much like a crumble, but with a cake-like consistency as it's base and it is good!! 

Her recipe calls for you to divide the ingredients into two two 9inch pans.  Why?  I have no idea, so I ignored it and put everything into one 9x13 pyrex dish.  It was perhaps a little thicker than she had intended, but a little more in each serving couldn't be too bad, could it?

Rhubarb and just a little sugar

A baked buckle

Yum!
Try it, if you like rhubarb, you won't be disappointed!

Here's her recipe: http://www.marthastewart.com/898912/rhubarb-buckle

Happy Mother's Day!

Ali
 
Update: I brought some over to a friend and her response was "Damn you!  That rhubarb thing is delicious and I've already eaten 3 squares!"




1 comment: