Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Canned Clams?

I've never cooked with canned clams and really, who has?  Though I love all types of seafood,  the  concept of canned shellfish seemed a little unappealing; especially when I saw the cans I bought from Trader Joes had an expiration date of June 2015.  Really?  That's nutty.  But would you believe they were only $1.99 each?  All-in-all, this meal was about $7.

Canned clams.  Gross.
The sauce with the clams.  I was liberal with the pepper flakes because we like our meals with a little heat.
 I used thin spaghetti instead of bucatini.
It. Was. Delicious!  Seriously.  It was the best meal I've made since we started the project.  AND, it was easy and quick enough to make on a work night.  Well, for those with more ambition than me...

Try it and let me know what you think.

Ali

This is Martha's recipe:
  • Prep Time 20 minutes
  • Total Time 20 minutes
  • Yield Serves 4
Ingredients
  • Coarse salt
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
  • 4 garlic cloves, smashed
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • Red-pepper flakes
  • 1 can (14 ounces) whole plum tomatoes, chopped, plus 1/2 cup juice
  • 2 cans (6.5 ounces each) chopped clams, drained, reserving 1 cup clam juice
  • 1 tablespoon capers (preferably salt-packed), rinsed and drained
  • 3/4 pound bucatini (perciatelli) or other long pasta
  • Coarse sea salt, for sprinkling

Directions

  1. While bringing a large pot of salted water to a boil, heat oil with garlic, oregano, and a large pinch of red-pepper flakes in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until fragrant and garlic is golden, about 2 minutes.
  2. Stir in tomatoes and their juice, and the reserved clam juice. Bring to a simmer, and cook until sauce is slightly thickened, about 7 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in clams and capers, and cook until heated through.
  3. When water boils, add pasta to boiling water, and cook until almost al dente, about 10 minutes (do not drain water). Transfer pasta to skillet using a strainer. Gradually stir in 1 cup pasta water, about 1/2 cup at a time, and cook over low heat, tossing, until pasta has absorbed some sauce and is well coated, 2 to 3 minutes.
  4. Divide among 4 bowls. Drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with red-pepper flakes and coarse sea salt.

4 comments:

  1. Guess who??!! I have cans of TJ clams on had. Yes gross, but in a hurry a lot less work then the gentle steaming and coaxing of the real deal (and as Ali indicates cheaper). But the shells are good garden matter.

    Anyway, I've used canned clams in a quick olive oil/diced onion/light garlic and faint herb skillet sauce over pasta. I'm excited to try this recipe. And I love capers - an under used ingredient (as are limes) in my mind.

    Question: why is bucatini so hard to find?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I looked for bucatini in three grocery stores.. and nothing. Has anyone ever cooked with it?

      Delete
    2. I did try it, and it was good. Probably a bit heavy on the red pepper flakes (which I like)...and used a trumpet shaped pasta. Yum. And so quick.

      Thanks!!!!

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy you discovered canned clams. Food doesn't have to be pretty to taste good :) And Kai is crazy for clams linguine! Bonus.

    ReplyDelete