Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

Raspberry Custard Tart

I thought this tart looked light and fresh, and would be a perfect treat for good friends who kindly offered to babysit Benjamin so Ben and I could celebrate our anniversary at Restaurant Eve (yum!).   I planned it perfectly and I was going to make it after Benjamin and my 'great adventure' taking the metro to the airport to watch the planes (he's all about planes, trains, and automobiles). Correction, it would have been perfectly planned if Martha's instructions hadn't caused me to burn the crust. 

Martha says to bake the shell for 35 minutes.  Because the puff pastry crust was covered in parchment paper and weights it was difficult to see what was going on and frankly, I was distracted by making the custard.  And what was going on was some serious burning.

But as you know, I don't give up easily.  While my friends had to go without on Saturday, I made it up to them on Sunday by dropping off a perfectly baked tart.  The second time around, I watched the crust like a hawk and it was done after only 20 minutes.  That's a 15 minute difference, Martha.




It was a hit and I'll definitely make it again.

Here's Martha's recipe: www.marthastewart.com/893050/raspberry-custard-tart

Ali







5 comments:

  1. Ali -
    You're too funny! This looks amazing, though...how long did it take overall (and where do you find the time)??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ingrid - Thanks for the comment! :) All in all it took about an hour including the baking time and the custard filling was super easy make - try it, let me know what you think.

      Delete
  2. You are funny! And this does look amazing. And yes, for something like this, doing the crust from scotch is THE detail - well and not letting the eggs curdle!!! Well done Ali.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate when the auto spell compounds my error with a totally wrong word. Scotch - hello it is scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know me, pastry from scratch is terrifying. Thank goodness for puffed pastry!! You can have a tart in minutes... well if you don't burn it.

    ReplyDelete