Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

A Crumblicious Father's Day Feast

For Father's Day, we decided to have a BBQ with corn on the cob, baked sweet and regular potatoes, heirloom tomato and fresh mozzarella salad, and traditional salads.  AND since it was Father's Day, there was, of course, meat involved.  Martha had a recipe for grilled marinated hanger steak that seemed perfect.   Not being an expert on red meat, I wasn't familiar with hanger steak and if you're not either, hanger steak is the kind of meat they use when serving fajitas at a Mexican restaurant.


As directed, the steak had been marinating for hours and all the sides were in various stages of prep, only to find out there was no gas in the bloody grill!!  Some colorful language went through my mind and some may have slipped out of my mouth.  I mean, really?? How does this always happen??  It was Sunday evening and of course, all the stores were closed.  So we had to improvise and used my trusty iron skillet.  I quickly seared the steak on the stove and then baked at a high heat in the oven.  Perfection. The only problem was Martha's recipe - she requires a 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar and it still tasted quite strong after being cooked.  While we enjoyed the steak, we'll likely try a different recipe next time.

Martha also has a Raspberry cobbler in this month's issue, but I'm not super keen on the biscuity texture of cobbler, so I opted to make a crumble instead.  It never disappoints.

I decided on the blackberry, raspberry, and apple crumble, but it'll work with just about any fruit combination you can fathom.  I used two Granny Smith apples, a pint each of blackberries and raspberries.  It's a perfect summer dessert and it's super easy.

Combine until crumbly:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup of flour
1 cup of sugar

Cover fruit with the crumble and lightly pat down.  That's it.

Bake at 350 degrees until the crumble is slightly golden (about 40 minutes).






I've used this recipe for years and it's always a crowd pleaser.  Give it a go and let me know what you think.

Ali



1 comment:

  1. Well - some would say doing a steak the French way can't be beat: good heavy skillet, little butter, proper salt and pepper, and then a good cut of beef. Hear the sizzle and make it quick. So, I'm thinking all that prep for the meat was not wasted with your fall back method.

    I've noted the cobbler recipe. Now to think of a reason to make it.....!

    Hope you have a great time in NY.

    Kristina

    ReplyDelete