Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Why dye?

One of Martha's "good things" this month is to "just add color" - in other words dyeing various items no one but Martha would ever think to dye. What you ask? Paper cups and bowls (yes, really) and bamboo place mats. I'm sorry, but dyeing paper cups and bowls is just ridiculous. If I want cups and bowls that are not white, I will do what most normal people would do, head to Target and buy cups and bowls in the color scheme I want.

Trying to be a good sport though, when Ali and I divided up our monthly tasks I agreed to try the bamboo place mats. I told Ali I they looked pretty at least so I'd give it a go.


Our conversation then went like this:

Ali: Ok, but she didn't dye those.

Me: What do you mean?

Ali: Either she didn't dye them or she embroidered them with white thread after she dyed them.

Me: Lies, lies, oh, Martha, how thou dost deceive...

Ok, I didn't say that, but really Martha, isn't it bad enough everyone already feels inferior to your craft skills, now we have to keep up with embellished craftiness.  Needless to say I didn't try to dye bamboo place mats, but, then again, neither did Martha.
- Jacqui



2 comments:

  1. This is tooooooo funny. I can almost hear the "real' conversation you two had!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  2. But ladies... everyone knows that she painstakingly took them apart, dyed each strand ( by hand) , hung them up to dry on a specially designed drier, the she had designed and built, and then hand stitched them together, after growing the cotton and spinning it in her laundry room, and then she set the table ready for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete