Pages

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Goat Cheese Galore

This is super easy, rich, and makes for a very satisfying lunch.  I have to be honest though, I didn't use goat cheese, I used herb Boursin.  I had some in my fridge and I thought it really couldn't be that different, could it?  Martha's recipe also called for fig jam and since I think it's quite dry, I opted to skip it.

Looks yummy, right?

It was. :)
The contrast of the drizzled honey and salty prosciutto was just outstanding.

Ali

*******

I made Martha's baked goat cheese dip, which with the prosciutto and goat cheese recipe Ali made were from Martha's "Good Things" section on what to do with left over goat cheese.  The tip was basic--crumbled goat cheese topped with marinara sauce and baked in the oven until brown and bubbly and served on toasted French bread.  This would be a great way to use leftover goat cheese if you have leftover goat cheese.  I didn't.  I didn't have marinara sauce either.  So I had to make a batch of marinara sauce and buy goat cheese, but I bought the cheese at Costco where it of course comes in a giant two pack.  So, this recipe kind of had the opposite effect--I NOW have a ton of leftover goat cheese and leftover marinara sauce.

Anyway, my husband and I liked the dip, but I could only eat it once in a while.  Would be a good party appetizer if I could figure out a way to make it not look so grease spattered. 



I actually like my way to use up leftover goat cheese best.  Cut 1/4" thick slices and pat in breadcrumbs on both sides, then toast in the toaster oven or oven until lightly browned.  I use 2-3 toasted disks to top a salad.  So delicious!

Jacqui

2 comments:

  1. Hey you two!!!

    Where to start. First, Ali I loved your floral bouquet from May. Very chic and beautifully proportioned.

    Jacqui - chef Anne Burrell would be proud of you with your version of left over goat cheese (rounds rolled in bread crumbs and toasted...).

    I actually do have left over goat (and other) cheeses, so will have to try this. As to your dilemma about looking less greasy - quickest fix is to add green_ parsley, dill, chives, in this case marjoram or fresh basil at the end (my opinion). Also what about throwing in some panko or something to absorb grease but also make it easier to cut into. Thoughts?

    Ali - your "sandwich" looks and sounds divine. Be surprised how under used honey is. I am bringing you in a jar of Trader Joe's Fig Butter. Not too dry and works with sooooooo many things besides cheese on crackers or toasts. Like with a piece of leftover turkey cutlet and snap peas, or with olive goat cheese and tart crackers, or with snap peas rolled in prosciutto.....

    However, Boursin is kinda of unto itself.

    So enjoy your endeavor!!!

    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  2. After my mom read this post she called me to say she had a way to deal with all of my leftover goat cheese. She said you can freeze it! she divides hers into appropriate portions and then into the freezer. She says it comes out perfectly. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete