Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Coconut and Salted Caramel Cookies

I couldn't resist trying these little cookies - I love coconut and caramel - such a combination couldn't be anything but amazing. 

Martha's predicted amount of active time, about an hour, is just about right. I'd recommend using about half the amount of coconut, I used a whole bag and ended up throwing more than half of it away.


They don't expand all that much - so you can squeeze quite a few on your baking sheet.

I wondered whether repressing the thumb print indention was necessary half way through the baking... it is.  They puff up quite a bit and in fact, I pressed them again once they were done baking completely.


Don't forget the salt on top of the caramel - it makes the recipe.

I think these came out every bit as pretty as those in the magazine..

and, these did not.

Then came the taste test.  My husband initially said he thought they were a bit bland, yet he managed to choke down 6 in less than 15 minutes. It would be suspiciously quiet in the kitchen and there he'd be popping yet another one in his mouth. Who knows how many he would have eaten if they hadn't been bland. 

I brought the ones that managed to escape my husband into the office.  The response was overwhelmingly positive.  Even those I very rarely interact with stopped by to say how good they were.  Perhaps they were surprised I could cook or even follow a recipe.  As Jacq and I continue on this journey, my colleagues are going reap the benefits of my labor and this little cookie has set the bar quite high. 

Would I make them again?  The butter content alone is enough to give me pause... really? three sticks of butter for 40 odd cookies...  With that said though, they are little beauties, so I would definitely make them for a party or a baby/bridal shower.

Here's a link to her recipe: http://www.marthastewart.com/874528/coconut-thumbprint-cookies-salted-caramel

Ali



No comments:

Post a Comment