Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Chocolate Worth its Weight in Gold

It seems that in February we're inspired by chocolate... lets be honest some of us are always inspired by chocolate.   Anyway, page 34 is dedicated to editors' picks of chocolate with interesting flavor combinations.  While they all looked decadent, one particularly caught my eye - it was Miranda Crowell's pick - caramel marshmallows from Vosges Chocolate.  Yum!  Chocolate, sea salt, caramel, and marshmallows... hello, friend!  

I quite innocently went to their website and had somehow already justified the $13 price tag for four of these little puppies... don't ask me how.  I put them in my cart and went to check out - only to find that shipping was $10.  That, I couldn't do.  

Being stubborn and always up for a challenge - I thought, really, how hard it they possibly be and off I went in search of gourmet marshmallows.  I found some at Balducci's.  


I stuck two marshmallows to a quarter of a graham cracker with Wilton's white Candy Melts. 

I then made caramel by melting little store bought cubes with some cream.

Next, my favorite part: Salt!

I melted Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate mixed with cream and piped it across the caramel.






I call them, A little more than a s'more.  While I don't know how they compare to the ones worth their weight in gold, these were excellent.  Ben's not keen on marshmallows, so off they went to the office.  They were demolished in about 10 minutes... and they're still being talked about.  If I were to change anything, I'd have used Ghirardelli milk chocolate instead.  Give them a try and let me know what you think.
Ali

2 comments:

  1. You inspired me...I made a somewhat altered version of these for a dinner party this week. Instead of regular graham crackers, I used chocolate ones. I still used white chocolate in between the cracker and the marshmallow, but I used store bought "Campfire" marshmallows (cut in half) instead of the fancy ones. (I don't have a Balducci's near me). Before putting anything on the marshmallow, I toasted the marshmallow and the cookie on broil in the oven for under two minutes. They enlarged over the cookie a little, but they were still good looking. Lastly, I let them cool a little, then spread dulce de leche, salt and milk chocolate drizzle on top. They were delicious and a big hit! If I knew how to upload a pic to this, I would. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a great idea to toast the marshmallows - I bet they were all the more amazing! So happy everyone enjoyed them!

      Delete