Pages

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Iron Skillet Pizza

Making a pizza on a pizza-stone used to be a weekend staple.  I had never thought of Martha's concept - cooking pizza in an iron skillet.  Hmm.. it seems like such an obvious good idea. 

Martha proposed using store bought dough, which I did.  I got ours at Wholefoods and I'm not sure how long it had been on display, but it was quite gummy and tacky (fresh dough usually isn't).  Next time I'll get it directly from the pizza-bar to ensure that it's really fresh.

I made three individually tailored pizzas in a 12inch iron skillet. 

This is Benjamin's: 
I cooked it over medium heat until the bottom was slightly brown.

Then I popped it into the oven (500 degrees) for five or ten minutes, et voila!  Looks good, right?
I bet you're wondering whether he ate it, aren't you?  He did.  You can't tell the scale of the pizza from the photograph, but it's not small and he literally ate almost all of it.

This is Ben's. It has spicy pizza sauce with cheese and prosciutto.  It's actually kind of gross looking, but Ben's a self-proclaimed pizza connoisseur and not shy - he said that he definitely wants to have it again.

Ben's as it came out of the oven.
This is mine: White pizza with fresh buffalo mozzarella, freshly grated Parmesan cheese, sage, garlic, and salt and pepper.  It's a recipe a good friend and I used to make years ago.


Num, Num...
I think the pizza stone might be finding a new home at goodwill - because this method is definitely a keeper.

Ali

1 comment:

  1. When we lived in Scotland I often used to make pizza in a frying pan. It was a really simple and quick way to make a tasty dinner.

    ReplyDelete