Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

Sowing Seeds

I come from a long line of gardeners.  Relatives on my mother's side were head-gardeners at Bodnant Garden in Wales for three generations.   My mother knows the Latin names for plants I couldn't fathom a common name.  Our home was even open for garden tours while I was growing up - it was and still is a beautiful English garden in upstate NY. 

I do not have a green thumb.  My biggest source of pride is my Christmas cactus from 1986.  It has seen its share of neglect and has suffered through some hard times. But it's still going and blooms once a year.  I love that little guy.

Anyway, much of Martha's March issue is dedicated to gardening and it was my turn to sow some seeds.  So off to Home Depot I went.  I was shocked that I couldn't buy the little plastic seed containers separately, and was forced to buy this little kit instead - I guess it's convenient.



Each section contains a little pellet and with a little warm water...

poof!  they grow like little..... worms.  Such fun!

The kit also includes a plastic cover to complete the greenhouse effect.
Martha suggests putting the lidded container on top of the fridge for warmth and once the seeds have  sprouted to transfer them to a sunny place.  So, of course, I complied and on top of the fridge it went.

I opted to plant dahlias in honor of my step-great-grandfather who used to grow them competitively.  I'm not trying to win any prizes, I'll just be super excited if I see a little sprout.

I'll keep you posted.

Ali

Update:  LOOK!!!!  Only four days after planting!  They've sprouted!  So excited!


2 comments:

  1. So how are the dailies' growing? I'm looking for orange ones.

    I'm excited - I bought this 30-yr rental place, and the few things I planted last fall (my first fall her - ferns, irises, some peonies, ete, are coming up. Friends and family have donated hostas and lilies of the valley. Gratifying really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With Benjamin's help, I planted the dahlias in the garden this weekend! We'll see how they hold up to the elements.

      Delete