Pages

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Loathsome Lentils

I had such high hopes for this one, Martha.  But you failed me.  Again.  While our meal looks wholesome and delicious, the photo deceives you.  Just as the photos in the magazine deceived me. 

On the menu:  

Pork with Lentil, Orange, Avocado, and Basil Salad
Lentil Cakes with Feta-Yogurt Sauce and Cucumber-Cress Salad
 
I'll spare you the agonizing details of lentil cake and salad preparation.  I used green lentils for the cakes instead of red ones, which shouldn't have made a difference.  The lentils were boiled, soaked, and blended in a food processor.  The basil, garlic, and shallots were chopped and diced.  Harissa was even borrowed from a friend (thanks, sweetie).







Martha says that the lentil cakes were inspired by falafel.  I say falafel works, don't mess with it.  The result of such inspiration?  A lentil cake that is as heavy as lead.  True story.  Ben said it was imperative that each bite had a piece of cucumber and some yogurt sauce, otherwise it was like choking down sand.  Though I wanted to, I couldn't disagree.

All was not lost.  Her recipe for the feta-yogurt sauce was amazing.  And super low in fat, since I used both non-fat Greek yogurt and fat-free feta.  I can think of about a million different uses for it - such as topping for a baked potato, salad dressing, and maybe even a simple dip.  Try it!  You won't be disappointed.

Here's her super easy recipe - whisk together:
  • 1/2 cup of feta cheese
  • 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/8 teaspoon finely grated garlic (from 1 small clove)

Her lentil salad wasn't much better than her lentil cake.  I used blood oranges and followed her recipe in detail.  It was dry and tasteless.  If I had been served this at a restaurant it would have been sent back.  No joke.


Two perfectly innocent blood oranges were sacrificed for this meal.  Poor little guys.  I tried desperately to salvage them on the flip side.


Benjamin liked his lentil cakes just fine.  I'm sure masking the taste by dipping them in his uber hot salsa didn't hurt.  Yep, hot salsa... he likes 'dip' with everything.


Branston pickle saved the day for Ben.  As for me, I was a lost cause.
Ali

3 comments:

  1. Hahahahh! Choking down sand! How appetizing :) so when I was in Tunisia I bought like 5 cans of Harissa, put them in my carry on like a moron and got them confistacated in London. I was pissed to say the least. Forgot about the no food rule!! Sorry your dinner sucked...at least BB ate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The airports in England have claimed some of our jarred goods too. They are so strict!

      Delete
  2. I love lentils- I'm so sorry Martha's recipes have debased them!

    That feta and yogurt dip sounds yummy, though- I bet it would be good with some dill, too.

    ReplyDelete