Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Mascara Hunt and the Skin Cream Find

Martha notes that every woman wants longer lashes whether hers are amazing or anemic. Is there something less than anemic?  Pathetic?  That’s what my lashes are, pathetic.  There have been a lot of attempts at different mascara’s over the years to try to find something to compensate for what nature did not provide.  

Just a few of the latest I've tried

But none really fit the bill.  So I was excited to see Martha’s article on mascara with descriptions of 20 different kinds. Surely I could find something among 20 different options.  I had some criteria though.  I’ve been burned many times before so I was not about to spend a lot of money on trial and error.  At $49 for Guerlian Noir G and a whopping $70 for Cantecaille Faux Cils Longest Lash those were definitely out.  Come on, it’s mascara. I can find shoes for less than that.  Others I had tried before and didn’t pan out.  Like, Great Lash – I don’t get the cult following.
I settled on L’Oreal Paris Voluminous False Fiber Lashes in Waterproof ($9) based on the description that it would make “modest lashes look positively false.”  Sounded perfect.  And it was!  My first pick was a great one.  This mascara rocks!  I love it.  My lashes look great, long and thick.  I showed my newly lengthened lashes to Ali and she agreed – went out and bought the same mascara.  My only complaint, and it’s a minor one, is that when they say waterproof they mean waterproof.  While it’s nice that my lashes stay lovely during a workout (and I’m going to try it at the beach and pool when I go on vacation next month) it’s a PAIN to take off at the end of the day.  With my old mascara I was able to just wash my face with my regular cleanser-done.  Now I have to remember to use make-up remover and really work it in there and then wash.  It’s a small price to pay though for a great find and who knows, maybe there’s a non-waterproof version.    Until then, I will be making use of these.
Found these in the closet - makeup remover doesn't go bad, does it?
Jacqui

++++++++++++++++++++++

I have been a dedicated user of Trish McEvoy's Lash Curling Mascara for years.  (A big shoutout to the friend who introduced me.)  Anyway, this sleek black matte tube rocked my world.    It forms tubes of mascara around your lashes, dries instantly, and will not smudge or smear.  What's even more amazing is with just a little warm water it slides off without leaving a trace.  All for $30.  Not bad, right?  And then I saw Martha's article and Jacqui's LASHES!!! 

What had I been doing all this time spending so much money?  So, as Jacqui said, I too tried L’Oreal Paris Voluminous False Fiber Lashes in Waterproof.  It certainly couldn't hurt the household budget by spending a 1/3 of what I normally spend on mascara (Ben is thinking what would really help our budget is my getting my Starbucks habit under control... keep dreaming, Ben. ;P)  Anyway,  Jacq was not kidding.  While I like the mascara itself, when it goes on, it's on for good.  I haven't owned eye make-up remover in years. (I see those six trial-sized bottles up there, Jacq.)  The money I ended up saving on the mascara, went down the drain when I bought a good eye make-up remover from Sephora.  

Martha also discusses face creams.  Like perfumes, I've been through them all.  I'm a marketers dream.  Oh, you're selling youth in a bottle?  Yeah, I'll try it.  I have spent shameful amounts of money of bottles full of promise.  I can't even disclose the amounts, my husband reads this, remember?  Though he'd deny it if you ask.  I have tried them all and I am finally dedicated to one. 
  
Roc.  Formally known as LeRoc.

It's constantly featured in beauty magazines for its supposed effectiveness and its retinol content.  It is awesome.  Martha seems to agree as it was one featured in her article.  What skin creams do you like?

Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment